Beijing, May 30 (TNS): China’s Ministry of Commerce (MOC) said Tuesday that the U.S. statement is contrary to the consensuses the two sides have previously reached in Washington.
The ministry said the White House tactical statement is unexpected.
Earlier on the same day, the United States said that it still holds the threat of imposing tariffs on $50 billion of imports from China and will use it unless Beijing addresses the issue of theft of American intellectual property.
Washington will also press ahead with restrictions on investment by Chinese companies in the United States as well as export controls for goods exported to China, the statement from the White House said.
A Chinese spokesperson of MOC said, “Whatever measures the United States takes, China has the confidence, capability, and experience to defend the interests of Chinese people and the core interests of the country.”
China urged the United States to act in accordance with the spirit of the recent bilateral joint statement, the MOC said.