ISLAMABAD, July 19 (TNS): Pakistan on Wednesday summoned Indian Deputy High Commissioner and lodged formal protest over the recent ceasefire violations, resulting in the killing of 2 civilians and injuring 6 others.
The Director General South Asian at the Foreign Ministry, who summoned the Indian Deputy High Commissioner, condemned the unprovoked ceasefire violations by the Indian occupation forces in Baroh and Tandar Sectors along the Line of Control in Azad Kashmir on 18 July, the Foreign Office said.
Two people including one woman in Barho Sector and a man in Tandar Sector were killed, a Foreign Office statement said.
“The deliberate targeting of civilians is indeed deplorable and contrary to human dignity and international human rights and humanitarian laws,” the official told the Indian envoy.
Pakistan and India had declared ceasefire along the LoC, the de facto border, between the two nuclear rivals along the LoC and Working Boundary in 2003.
The Director General also urged the Indian side to respect the 2003 Ceasefire arrangement; investigate this and other incidents of ceasefire violations; instruct the Indian forces to respect the ceasefire, in letter and spirit and maintain peace on the LoC.
He urged that the Indian side should permit UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan to play its mandated role as per the UN Security Council resolutions, the statement said.
Pakistan military spokesman Major General Asif Ghafoor told the media on July 16 that Indian forces have committed 580 ceasefire violations so far this year, which he described as the “highest in any year.”