QUETTA, Jan 09 (TNS): Inspector General (IG) Balochistan Moazam Jah Ansari said that the initial reports suggested that Quetta blast was suicide attack and a suicide bomber had struck the bus targeting police personnel.
After visiting blast scene talking to journalists IG said the suicide bomber had walked up to the scene and blew himself up near the back of the police truck. He said the earlier impression that the attacker could have travelled to the truck on a motorcycle was not correct.
At least seven persons, including four police personnel, were martyred and 16 others injured on Tuesday when a power explosion rocked Quetta’s Zarghoon road near the Balochistan Assembly building.
Bomb Disposal Squad officials said 10 kilograms of explosives had been used in the attack. Most deaths occurred due to the impact from ball bearings and pellets stored in the bomber’s suicide jacket, said the IG.
IG Ansari while talking to reporters said he could “tell in advance” that the suicide bomber must have come from across the Afghan border, as DNA tests showed suicide bombers involved in previous attacks in Quetta were foreign nationals too.
He said the terrorists had targeted police in the attack and not the Balochistan Assembly, which is in the same area, as the blast occurred an hour after the assembly session had ended.