GILGIT April 20 (TNS): Minister for Works Gilgit-Baltistan Dr Muhammad Iqbal said on Friday that the government was pursuing a comprehensive development plan for socio-economic uplift of the region.
Talking to journalists on the occasion of the inauguration ceremony of Park-link road, the GB minister said the Gilgit-Baltistan has witnessed a number of development initiatives during the tenure of the present government.
He said that past governments paid no heed to the development of Gilgit-Baltistan but the PML-N government was giving priority to the development of the area. He said that the G-B government was focusing on improvement of roads infrastructure and funds had been enhanced for the uplift of this sector.
He directed the works department to speed up work on the ongoing development projects including the Park-link road and complete it within the scheduled timeframe. He said last year Rs150 million were allocated for this project, but the cost was revised to Rs300 million due to the poor sewerage system.
He said owing peaceful and conducive environment more tourists including foreigners were expected to come this year. He said that the PML-N government was focusing on the development of all districts indiscriminately and providing funds accordingly.
He said work on Gilgit-Nalthar road would soon be started.
He said that former prime minister Nawaz Sharif was taking a keen interest in the development of Gilgit Baltistan. He said that supply from the 18-megawatt Nalthar powerhouse which was damaged by lands lidding would soon start as work on its rehabilitation had been expedited.