NA sitting echoes with Sheik Rashid-Awan episode

NA sitting echoes with Sheik Rashid-Awan episode

ISLAMABAD June 09 (TNS): Opposition parties in the National Assembly on Friday expressed their serious reservations over security breach by Malik Noor Awan, who had confronted MNA Sheikh Rashid Ahmed outside Parliament the other day.

Opposition Leader in the National Assembly Khursheed Shah questioned who brought the unwanted person to the parliament.

“The person entered the Parliament premises with a pass signed and issued by the deputy speaker. “How was he allowed to enter the vicinity?” Shah asked.

The investigation will be ordered as soon as more details about the episode emerge, NA Speaker Ayaz Sadiq said adding an FIR was registered against the intruder soon after the incident and he was taken into custody.

The opposition leader also showed a picture of Noor Awan to the Parliament, where he could be seen pictured with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.

This angered the treasury members, who protested. Members from both sides of the aisle raised slogans of ‘shame shame’.

State Minister for Water and Power Abid Sher Ali even spoke without his mic on while PML-N leaders Sheikh Aftab and Rana Tanveer tried their best to stop Abid Sher, but, ignored them and continued ranting.

“They [the opposition] speak about democracy today. We were sent to Sahiwal prison in the Kalashnikov case,” he said.

“Do not get personal,” Shah said while responding to Abid Sher Ali.

The ruckus led to a 15-minute break during the assembly session. Speaker Sadiq also summoned Shah to his chamber. The opposition leader also asked the NA speaker if he was consulted by the police before taking independent MNA Jamshed Dasti into custody. “Seeking permission from the speaker is mandatory for the police before arresting any member of the assembly,” Shah said. Jamshed Dasti was arrested by the Layyah police on Thursday while he returning to his home constituency Muzaffargarh from Islamabad. Dasti was produced before a magistrate before he was sent to jail in Multan.