June 02 (TNS): Peel back an onion and what will you find? Layer upon layer of health benefits. Onions are an aromatic that is used as the base for many recipes and help foods reach their true flavor potential. But be careful while prepping onions: a lot of the nutrients are found in the outer layers and can be lost if the onion is over-peeled. Don’t be afraid of crying when you cut onion. With proper technique you can get a finely chopped onion without shedding a single tear.
Top Health Benefits of Onions:
- Prevents Diabetes: A single serving of onions contains 27% of your biotin DRI. Biotin has many positive impacts on your health, one of which is combatting symptoms associated with type 2 diabetes. Early research suggests that a combination of biotin and chromium might help regulate blood sugarand even decrease insulin resistance.
- Healthy Skin: Biotin is also important in maintaining healthy skin. It is used to treat brittle nails, prevent hair loss (although research is still ongoing as to its effectiveness in this regard) and maintain skin health.
- Improved Immunity: Onions contain both vitamin C and phytochemicals that increase the effectiveness of vitamin C in your body. What does that mean? A healthier, more effective immune system, that’s what.
- Prevents Cancer: Quercetin is more than just a funny looking word. It’s also a plant flavonoid (another funny word that means plant pigment) that possesses potent antioxidants, which fight against cancer-causing free radicals. Free radicals are chemical compounds that damage cell membranes and cause cell death. Onions are rich in quercetin and thus are a powerful weapon in the war against cancer.
- Relieves Stress: Quercetin doesn’t stop there. It also helps protect your body against stress. When you are stressed out your body produces cortisol. While cortisol is totally normal, too much of it can damage muscle tissue and cause protein breakdown in the body. That’s where quercetin-rich onions come in. During times of prolonged stress, quercetin suppresses enzyme required for cortisol release. Next time you have a stressful deadline to meet at work, bring along a few raw onions to snack on!
- Lowers Cholesterol: Raw onion also promotes production of HDLwhich is the good cholesterol that you need to stay healthy.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Onions have anti-inflammatory properties help those who suffer from joint pain and arthritis. But the benefits of betalain are not limited to those with swollen joints; all disease is rooted in chronic inflammation, and, therefore, everyone should seek out foods with anti-inflammatory properties.
- Lowers Blood Pressure: The sulfur in onions acts as a natural blood thinner and it prevents blood platelets from collecting. This is good for lowering blood pressure and preventing risk of heart attack or stroke, because you are more susceptible if blood platelets clog up. And remember quercetin? Of course you do. Well it also helps prevent plaque buildup in arteries which is also good for preventing heart attack and stroke.
- Digestion: Onions are high in fiber, which is good for maintaining a healthy and regular digestive system. Fiber prevents digestive pain and breaks down food can keep it moving.
- Bone Density: Onions bolster bone densityfor older women. One study found that menopausal women who incorporated onions into their diet had a 20% lower risk of health disease.
- Onion is a great source of minerals and it not only helps regulate the blood sugar of the body because it is a great source of chromium but it also increases the production of good cholesterol and helps keeps your heart in shape. Apart from these great benefits onion is shown to play a role in preventing cancer, gastric ulcer and is a great at reducing inflammation and infections. But I am sure you are not here to learn about these things.
- Onions for Sexual Health Onion is known as one of the greatest aphrodisiac foods, it helps increase libido and also strengthens the reproducing organs. Onions also increase the testosterone levels in the body and can help in increasing the sexual stamina.
- Onions homemade recipe Onions can be eaten raw or in juice form. You can cut an onion into four before throwing it in the blender. The resulting juice is great for your sexual stamina. The juice is bitter and you should sip it slowly so that it doesn’t shock your system. adding garlic to the juice is also a great idea and will help boost your sexual potency. this mixture could be called a sex tonic for its great sexual health benefits. Another great recipe of onions is the chopping them fine and frying them in butter and consuming them with honey first thing in the morning. This mixture is great for penile health and is also a great aphrodisiac.