ISLAMABAD Aug 31 (TNS): The Foreign Office rejected on Thursday the recent statements of Commander of US Forces and NATO in Afghanistan General John Nicholson, calling them ‘unnecessary and unacceptable’.
FO spokesman Nafees Zakaria addressed several issues pertaining to the region and Pakistan’s foreign relations. A conference of envoys under Prime Minsiter Shahid Khaqan Abbasi will be held from Sep 5-7, he informed.
The FO Spokesman said that no high-level contact was established between the US and Pakistan.
Afghanistan’s war cannot be fought in Pakistan, said the spokesman, adding that Pakistan condemns terrorism incidents in its neighboring country.
Zakaria said that at the moment Pakistan’s foreign policy is facing multiple challenges.
The FO spokesman said that in the occupied Kashmir, Indian forces are carrying out human rights violation.
Pakistan is concerned about the Indian forces taking under custody Hurriyat leaders, Zakaria said.
The FO spokesman also expressed concern over hurricane ‘Harvey’ which recently hit Texas and Houston in the US.
He said that Pakistan Consul General is actively involved in relief and rescue activities in the affected areas. Proud of the Pakistani community which is actively participating in relief activities, said Zakaria.
In an interview to an Afghan media outlet, Gen Nicholson said the US knows the Afghan Taliban leadership resides in Quetta and Peshawar.
He said that following US President Donald Trump’s announcement earlier this week on his new war strategy, he, Nicholson, as a commander, has a new policy — “one based on conditions and not time.”